Uphill

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 16:04:29 PDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 05:44 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Thankfully mobile OSes and desktop app stores seem to be on the right
> track to kill this.
>
> http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2015/05/web_vs_native_l.html

+1billion

My god it's nice to see that finally acknowledged.

"Still, we web developers have spent the last six years in denial. Our
working assumption has been that all web sites should be app-like, and
therefore tooled up to the hilt."

Love it.

Thing is, one of the biggest reasons (likely even THE biggest reason)
for the giant "web for apps" push was the whole no-install aspect. But
then instead of actually, y'know, creating a no-install for
applications, which could have been made and well-entrenched by now, the
whole tech sector went and blew (probably) billions in $ and time
retrofitting "rich, dynamic experience" into a document platform. And
for all those blown resources, it's STILL at least as much of a broken
mess as it was back when we still thought the IE/Netscape divergence was
the greatest damage we could ever inflict our unfortunate web-based users.

And then on top of all that,
Java/Flash/JS/basic-freaking-displaying-a-stupid-little-image
demonstrated that even the whole purported "sandboxing" benefit of web
apps (and VMs for that matter) was a near total bust.