Use SIMD to accelerate comment lexing

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 3 02:28:42 PDT 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 17:50, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 2015-06-03 01:08, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> It's fairly large to cover everything I think is important, and
>> there's a few tools missing still; I can't finish without some way to
>> know the SIMD flags fed to the compiler from the command line (some
>> standard versions?), and it's also difficult to resolve without
>> forceinline of some sort.
>

> Isn't it possible to proceed without forceinline, to be able to finish the
> functionality. I understand that you think it's useless for performance
> reasons, but is it enough to get the functionality correct?

The codegen is everything. Functionality is the easy part here ;)
Most things are already correct, but I can't confidently proof out the codegen.
The main blocker though is that I don't know what simd level the user
requested on the command line. The library has no idea what hardware
features to target without explicit statement by the user.

>> As an aside, I need a test environment for each compiler, targetting
>> x86, x64 and arm at least, where I can submit some code, and have it
>> run the unittests on a matrix of appropriate targets. (ideally PPC and
>> MIPS would also be included, so they can influence design decisions.)
>> Does any such test system exist? A web service to provide this would
>> be invaluable... I don't have all those systems available to me.
>

> Travis CI [1] can be used for x86-64, Linux and OS X. There's also a service
> that uses Windows for their hosts, but I can't remember the name right now.

I use travis.
I was thinking smething more d-specific, along the lines of DPaste...