dmd makes D appear slow

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 3 04:25:48 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 11:06:39 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> it can get even better if you properly modularize your projects
> instead of having 1-2 files that build slow, which causes a lot
> of waiting.

Yes, sure. You can probably get the same build speeds as with C
if you organize your code in a particular way or shy away from
certain patterns.

What I was talking about was the language, meaning that you don't
write your code to give a boost in compilation speed. Clearly
possible, but if you use third party frameworks… then you're out
of luck.

An analogy: SQL isn't particularly expressive, but the
limitations of the language makes it possible to execute it
bottom-up. NOSQL engines are even less expressive, but can be
even more easily distributed.