dmd makes D appear slow

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 3 05:20:28 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 10:37:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 07:50:53 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 07:05:37 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Project size is irrelevant here. I had 500 line C++ project
>>> that took 10 minutes to compile (hello boost::spirit). It is
>>> impossible for C++ to compile faster than D by design. Any
>>> time it seems so you either aren't comparing same thing or
>>> get misinformed. Or do straightforward separate compilation.
>>
>> Even C.
>
> Now really? C was designed at a time where you couldn't even
> hold the source file in memory, so there is not even a need for
> an explicit AST.
>
> C can essentially be "streamed" in separate passes:
> cpp->cc->asm->linking
>
> If compiling C is slow, it is just the compiler or the build
> system, not the language.

Yes really, specially when comparing with Turbo Pascal, Delphi,
Modula-2, Oberon and a few other languages not tied to UNIX
linker model.

Multiply that hour times HP-UX (aCC), Solaris (SunPro), Windows
(cl), Aix (xlc), Red-Hat Linux (gcc). Which were the systems
being used.

As a side note, Visual C++ 2015 will be quite fast.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-610

They literal have re-done their linker to use a database model
and support incremental linking.

Similarly to what IBM did with Visual C++ Code Store and Lucid's
Energize.

All the solutions have in common not relying in the traditional
UNIX linker model.

--
Paulo