dmd makes D appear slow

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 3 05:42:38 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 3 June 2015 at 12:20:29 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> Yes really, specially when comparing with Turbo Pascal, Delphi,
> Modula-2, Oberon and a few other languages not tied to UNIX
> linker model.

Yeah, I agree that the implementation for Turbo Pascal was good
for the hardware it ran on. But I don't think Pascal as a
language is easier to compile fast than C. I think they match up.

> As a side note, Visual C++ 2015 will be quite fast.
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-610
>
> They literal have re-done their linker to use a database model
> and support incremental linking.

Ok, I don't view linking as part of compilation... I don't think
C as a language requires a specific linkage model (only the
conceptual compilation units).