Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 4 06:07:56 PDT 2015

On 6/4/15 4:58 AM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 01.06.2015 um 20:49 schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
>> (...)
>> Sorry, I suppose it's a small burden if you use dub frequently. I don't.
>> Look what happens when I initialize a dub project:
>>
>> {
>>      "name": "testdub",
>>      "description": "A minimal D application.",
>>      "copyright": "Copyright © 2015, steves",
>>      "authors": ["steves"],
>>      "dependencies": {
>>      }
>> }
>>
>> Cool, I can figure out how to massage all the existing strings, except,
>> hm... dependencies. What goes in there?
>>

> As of recently, you can also directly specify dependencies to the "dub
> init" command, for example "dub init myproject tango derelict-gl".

That's nice. But it still isn't self-explanatory. Nor additive.

> There
> was also the suggestion to make dub init (without arguments)
> interactive, which would make this a really easy matter.

This would be better, but I still think a way to add dependencies should
be supported on the command line. Something like dub depend someproject.
You don't always know what a project will need at the beginning.

Of course, you could just say "well, edit the json file!". You really
need a format that supports comments...

In any case, this doesn't negate the concerns others have raised.

I don't mean to bash dub, it's better than nothing. But I haven't used
it for any real project yet. And when I did use it, it was not a
straightforward experience.

-Steve