Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 4 08:47:18 PDT 2015

> On a related note, it's also a pity that Reggae mixes
> incremental build improvements (from which DUB itself could
> greatly profit, too - just as a Ninja generator for DUB would
> be a nice feature) with a separate, layered build description.
> I mean there is of course no reason to not have alternative
> approaches for build descriptions available in general, but
> when mixed with a public package repository, it just leads to
> fragmentation.

I can add a ninja generator to dub if you want, with the default
being per-package compilation (since right now for dub it's one
file or everything at once).

But I wrote reggae because:

1. Declarative is preferable but imperative is needed. My (our?)
favourite imperative language is D, so I want to specify builds
in it.
2. I want a build tool that builds on dub but doesn't require it
3. I wanted it to make it easy to link with C and C++

As I've mentioned before, I know the kind of things I'd want to
do with the build system if I had a large and complicated enough
project, and I know I wouldn't be able to do it easily using dub
alone. As I've also mentioned before, building with dub is just
fine for most people.

I don't know if fragmentation would be an issue. The packages are
still dub packages and I for one will use dub.json/sdl to list my
dependencies even if reggae is actually generating the build.

Atila