Attempt to get rid of phobos Makefiles, using reggae

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 01:08:43 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 4 June 2015 at 23:28:37 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 June 2015 at 21:50:41 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>
>> Is this horrible or is this the kind of direction we might
>> want to go?
>
> This is a nice work, but I think I would prefer a library over
> a tool.
>
> I envision a single package with much of what you've already
> built (Target struct, Build template, etc...) that I can simply
> import into my own build.d file, and call with rdmd.  Maybe
> even get it merged into phobos as std.build.

I thought of that during DConf. It's "run this tool that includes
your description and runs the compiler for you" vs "as a library
now I have to build the build generator myself". It didn't seem
to make much sense to me since it'd just be more work.

I could always split the code into libreggae and have the reggae
tool depend on it, but at this point I'm not convinced.

Atila