Lets talk about fibers

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 07:17:34 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 13:20:27 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I think I'll go with Liran's experience over your hypothetical
> anecdotes. You seem to have a lot of academic knowledge, but
> I'd rather see what actually happens. If you have that data,
> please share.

There is absolutely no reason to go personal. I address weak
arguments when I see them. Liran claimed there were no benefits
to migrating fibers. That's not true. He is speaking for his
particular use case, that is fine. It is easy to create a
benchmark where locking fibers to a thread is beneficial. But it
is completely orthogonal to my most likely D use case which is in
low-latency web-services.

There will be no data that benefits D until D is a making itself
look like a serious contender and do it well in aggressive
external benchmarking. You don't get the luxury to choose what
workload D's performance is benchmarked with!

D is an underdog compared to C++/Rust/Go. That means you need to
get that 10-20% performance edge in benchmarks to make D look
attractive.

If you want D to succeed you need to figure out what is D's main
selling point and make it a compiler-based feature. If it is a
library only solution, then any language can steal your thunder...