dmd makes D appear slow

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 11:54:05 PDT 2015

On 29/05/2015 19:35, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> >This isn't the first time I've seen this, in basically every benchmark
>> >featuring D I have to submit a patch/make a comment that dmd shouldn't
>> >be used. Make no mistake, this is damaging to D's reputation - how
>> >well does D's "native efficiency" go over when people are saying it's
>> >slower than Scala and F#(mono)?
>> >
>> >LDC and GDC need promoted more.
> [...]
>
> This will probably offend some people, but I think LDC/GDC should be the
> default download on dlang.org, and dmd should be provided as an
> alternative for those who want the latest language version and don't
> mind the speed compromise.

It should be more than just LDC/GDC being the default download on
dlang.org, the DM backend and related toolchain should be phased out
altogether in favor of LLVM.

Walter might have written great compiler tools in the 90s or so, but in
today's internet and FOSS online-collaborative era, how can the Digital
Mars toolchain hope to compete with toolchains having teams of multiple
full-time developers working on it? (plus a plethora of occasional
volunteer contributors). The difference in manpower and resources is
astonishing! And it's only gonna get bigger since LLVM is having more
and more people and companies supporting it. By this rate, it may well
one day make even GCC old and obsolete, left to be used by FSF zealots only.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros