6-weeks release cycle

David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 12:28:52 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 19:19:33 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/5/15 2:03 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Martin was going for http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP75
>
> OK, good, this needs an executive decision. We need a process
> to be blessed first before we talk about release frequency.
> Then everything backfills from there.
>
> -Steve

The important bit is to have someone stand up and build the
necessary testing infrastructure. I am to blame for not having
done much on this front yet, due to heavy work load.

Time base release schedules work fine, no matter how tight, but
you require good infrastructure to find regressions and revert if
necessary. If people accept that deltas can be very small and
that reverts will happen to remove an unstable feature, than a
6-week time based release schedule is fine. In fact I believe
there is a lot to gain from it.