Daily downloads in decline

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 13:51:15 PDT 2015

On 05/06/2015 21:41, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> But more importantly: when I finally started looking into Rust, was also
> what caused me to look into LLVM properly, particularly by subscribing
> the LLVM weekly newsletter. And that's when I gradually realized all the
> work LLVM having done, with so many people working on it.

Some things I forgot to add: It's not just the amount of resources they
have, but also the direction they are going to. In particular, unlike
GCC, they are not shying away from Windows and are doing a lot of work
to support it natively (not just compiling obviously, but linking with
Visual Studio artifacts, and Windows debugging). Once that work matures,
I reckon other toolchains will just be left in the dust.

(Windows native support is not the only reason LLVM is so promising -
but it is the only one I could think of, at the moment, that could be
considered a hard blocker for phasing out the DM backend)

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros