[website] Fonts Roboto and Roboto Mono

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 15:19:00 PDT 2015

On 6/5/15 3:07 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 21:46:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Just found these on reddit:
>>
>> https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto
>> https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto+Mono
>>
>> I'm thinking to use them instead of Verdana and Lucida Mono respectively.
>
> 1. Web fonts come with cost of increased page load time and resource
> utilization.

These are made by Google and are optimized for the Web. On
https://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Roboto it seems
like downloading a few of them keeps that gauge in the green region.

> 2. You can't use a custom (web) font for any content which you can't
> ensure contains only glyphs supported by the font. Which implies that
> you cannot use it for user-submitted content (forum and wiki), unless
> you want some glyphs to be in a different font. Which implies that if we
> do use a different font for the website, the forum may need to use a
> different, standard font.
>
> Examples:
>
> http://dump.thecybershadow.net/2ef53dfe00fc112e3418913348bebdf0/00000173.png
>
> http://dump.thecybershadow.net/686026fbe38bab61e21631f6fb1f6f64/00000174.png

Not sure what I'm looking at, but point taken. Perhaps I should try that
on the main site.

> 3. Just because a font looks bad on your machine, doesn't mean it looks
> as bad on others. (Conversely, just because a web font looks good on
> your machine, doesn't mean it'll look as good on others.) Fonts are hard.

Well yah but our interior design has grown long in the tooth. Time for a
change. I'll ask a trusted lieutenant (myself) to try Roboto and Roboto
Mono on the site.

> I'm not sure there is a problem that needs to be fixed here, especially
> considering the caveats. In fact:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/995

Alrighty.

Andrei