Lets talk about fibers

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 6 10:38:43 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 19:21:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I didn't, actually. Your arguments seem well crafted and
> persuasive, but I've seen so many arguments based on theory
> that don't always pan out. I like to see hard data. That's what
> Liran's experience provides. Perhaps you have it too? Please
> share if you do.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Experience
is data? Huh?

If you talk about benchmarking, you do this by defining a
baseline to measure up against and run a wide set of demanding
workloads with increasing load until the system performance
collapses, then you analyze the outcome for each workload. One
usually pick best-of-breed "competitor" as the baseline. E.g.
Nginx gained traction by benchmarking against Apache.

If you are talking about multi-threading/fibers/event-based
systems you read technical optimization manuals from CPU vendors
for each processor generation, they provide what you need to know
when designing scheduling heuristics. The problem is how to give
the scheduler meta information. In event systems that is
explicit, in D you could provide information through "yield"
either by profiling, analysis, or explict... but getting to event
based performance isn't all that easy...