Scaling rdmd up: build package at a time

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 6 12:44:15 PDT 2015

On 6/6/15 11:47 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-06-06 17:38, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> Compiling several files at once is faster. The natural boundary is one
>> package.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand something. Why compile files that has not
> changed? I mean that rdmd should compile all files that has changed
> including its dependencies, no more, no less. It should compile all
> these files in one go.

Yah, that's the traditional C-style module-at-a-time approach. Somewhat
paradoxically, for D it's faster to compile several files at once, even
though not all were affected by the change.

So in the package-at-a-time approach if at least one module in a package
is affected by a change, the entire package gets rebuilt.

Andrei