Honey, I shrunk the build times

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 7 03:11:25 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 08:34:50 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 08:24:24 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
>> Separate compilation prevents compiler from inlining
>> everything.
>
> only bad compilers

All existing compilers AFAIK. There is no point in discussing
theoretical advanced enough compiler when considering actions
done right now.

Good compiler should be able to work as caching daemon and never
need separate object files at all. So we should completely ban it
by that logic.

In practice creating library per package is decent compromise
that works good right now, even if it is consistently imperfect.