Honey, I shrunk the build times

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 7 04:45:57 PDT 2015

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 11:01:19 +0200, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> On 7 June 2015 at 10:51, ketmar via Digitalmars-d <
> digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 08:24:23 +0000, Temtaime wrote:
>>
>> > It's really bad solution.
>> >
>> > Are you building phobos 1000 times a day so 5 seconds is really long
>> > for you ?
>> > Separate compilation prevents compiler from inlining everything.
>>
>> how is that? even if we left lto aside, compiler needs module source
>> anyway. if one will use full .d files instead of .di, nothing can
>> prevent good compiler from inlining.
>

> Semantic analysis is done lazily.  No AST, no inline.

but everything one need to do semantic is already there. it's just calls
to `semantic` are absent. with some imaginary "--aggressive-inline"
option compiler can do more semantic calls and inline things properly.
sure, that will slow down compilation, but that's why it should be done
as opt-in feature.