DIP80: phobos additions

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 7 20:53:42 PDT 2015

On 8 June 2015 at 13:15, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 18:27:16 UTC, Robert burner Schadek wrote:
>>
>> Phobos is awesome, the libs of go, python and rust only have better
>> marketing.
>> As discussed on dconf, phobos needs to become big and blow the rest out of
>> the sky.
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP80
>>
>> lets get OT, please discuss
>

> I think a std.bindings or something similar for ubiquitous C libraries would
> go a long way - _quality_(not just a wrapper) SDL, OpenGL, etc bindings.
>
> D is very attractive to game developers, I think with a little push it would
> get a lot of traction from this.

I've been humoring the idea of porting my engine to D. It's about 15
years of development, better/cleaner than most proprietary engines
I've used at game studios.
I wonder if there would be interest in this? Problem is, I need all
the cross compilers to exist before I pull the plug on the C code... a
game engine is no good if it's not portable to all the consoles under
the sun. That said, I think it would be a good case-study to get the
cross compilers working against.