Lets talk about fibers

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 8 00:41:48 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 18:25:26 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 17:28:39 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 14:51:05 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> I agree, but I dare doubt that a slight performance edge will
>>> make the difference. There are load of factors (knowledge
>>> base, infrastructure, complacency, C++-Guruism, marketing
>>> etc.) why D is an underdog.
>>
>> But everybody loves the underdog when it catches up to the
>> pack and beats the pack on the finish line. ;^)
>>
>> I now follow Pony because of this self-provided benchmark:
>>
>> http://ponylang.org/benchmarks_all.pdf
>>
>> They are communicating a focus for a domain, a good
>> understanding of their area, and it makes me want to give it a
>> spin even at this early stage where I obviously can't actually
>> use it.
>>
>> I am not saying Pony is good, but it makes a good case for
>> itself IMO.
>>
>>> no sugar, thanks." I know, as usual I simplify things and
>>> exaggerate! He he he. But programming languages are like
>>> everything else, only because something is good doesn't mean
>>> that people will buy it.
>>
>> Sure, but it is also important to make people take notice.
>> People take notice of benchmark leaders. And too often
>> benchmarks measure throughput while latency is just as
>> important.
>>
>> End user don't notice peak throughput (which is measurable as
>> a bleep on the cloud server instance-count logs), they notice
>> reduced latency. So to me latency is the most important aspect
>> of a web-service (+ programmer productivity).
>>
>> I don't find Go exciting, but they show concern for latency
>> (concurrent GC etc). Communicating that concern is good, even
>> before they reach whatever goals they have.
>>
>>> As regard compiler-based features, as soon as features are
>>> compiler-based people will complain "Why is it built-in? That
>>> should be handled by a library! I want more freedom!" I know
>>> for sure.
>>
>> Heh, not if it is getting you an edge, but if it is a second
>> citizen addition. Yes, then I agree.
>>
>> Cheers!
>
> Thanks for showing me Pony. Languages like Nim and Pony keep
> popping up which shows a) how important native compilation is
> and [...]

Which is why after all those years, the OpenJDK will eventually
support AOT compilation to native code for Java 10 with some work
being done in JEP 220[0], and .NET does AOT native code on
Windows Phone 8 (MDIL), with static compilation with Visual C++
backend coming with .NET Native.

And Android also went native with the Dalvik re-write.

The best approach is anyway to have a JIT/AOT capable toolchain
and use them accordingly to the deployment target.

[0]Which means Oracle finally accepted why almost all commercial
JVM vendors do offer such a feature. I read somewhere that JIT
only was a kind of Sun political issue.