std.experimental.safeint.d

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 8 07:18:44 PDT 2015

On 6/8/15 10:03 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On 08-Jun-2015 16:36, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 6/8/15 6:33 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>> And, of course, updating anything in std.experimental
>>> module is going to be a long tedious string of pull requests.
>>>

>> How so?
>
> Compared to just featuring the code on dub repository:
> a) Release cycle tied to dmd
> b) All changes must be reviewed
> c) Changes got to be small enough to not require long review
>
> Thus overhauls of internals are not going to be easily deliverable,
> nor bug-fixes can be got out of band with D distribution.

Yes, that's true. But we are supposed to be having monthly releases of
DMD with bug fixes at least.

std.experimental is supposed to be relatively stable as compared to an
outside project. It is going to be tested with auto tester, and ensured
to work on every PR. I think this is a good thing.

What we CAN do is redesign the API if we don't like it.

I look at std.experimental as "This should have gone into Phobos, but
we're unsure of whether this API design is the right thing". Currently,
changing API in phobos is near sacrilege.

Essentially, std.experimental was born out of the realization that
std.xml API is bad, but we need to keep that API and introduce std.xml2.

Also, using a 3rd party repository does not reach the full audience.

> If anything I'd love to see more 3-rd party stuff that is easily
> installable.

I think code.dlang.org covers that, no?

-Steve