DIP80: phobos additions

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 8 23:59:10 PDT 2015

On 6/8/15 8:26 PM, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 18:27:16 UTC, Robert burner Schadek wrote:
>> Phobos is awesome, the libs of go, python and rust only have better
>> marketing.
>> As discussed on dconf, phobos needs to become big and blow the rest
>> out of the sky.
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP80
>>
>> lets get OT, please discuss
>
> There are
> https://github.com/9il/simple_matrix and
> https://github.com/9il/cblas .
> I will try to rework them for Phobos.
>
> Any ideas and suggestions?
>
> Some notes about portability:
>    1. OS X has Accelerated framework builtin.
>    2. Linux has blast by default or it can be easily installed. However
> default blast is very slow. The openBLAS is preferred.
>    3. Looks like there is no simple way to have BLAS support on Windows.
>
> Should we provide BLAS library with DMD for Windows and maybe Linux?

I think licensing matters would make this difficult. What I do think we
can do is:

(a) Provide standard data layouts in std.array for the typical shapes
supported by linear algebra libs: row major, column major, alongside
with striding primitives.

(b) Provide signatures for C and Fortran libraries so people who have
them can use them easily with D.

(c) Provide high-level wrappers on top of those functions.

Andrei