[OT] Modules dropped out of C++17

Shachar Shemesh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 00:49:23 PDT 2015

On 09/06/15 10:21, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> It is no different than extension methods in .NET, Ceylon, Kotlin,
> multi-methods in CLOS or implicits in Scala.
I never could understand that line of reasoning:
Argument: So and so is bad because A
Answer: X, Y, and Z also do so and so

How is the answer clearing up anything? It completely ignores the
reasons why so and so was claimed to be bad.

> I just mouse hover, press F12/Ctrl+Right Mouse and in less than 5s is
> the method visible.

Please see my answer to Joakim. Also, you say 5 seconds as if that's a
short amount of time. If it takes an automatic scanner 5 seconds, it
means the amount of coverage it needs to perform is huge. This means
that for any action that does not involve the scanner (e.g. writing new
code, implementing a new function, deciding which function to call), you
need to hold in your head the amount of state it takes your scanner 5
seconds to collect.

Which leads me back to my original claim: this feature promotes bugs.

Shachar