Right after allocators: containers or database connectivity?

Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 10:44:12 PDT 2015

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 10:05:24 -0700
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> For database connectivity I'm thinking of using ODBC. What I see is that
> on all major platforms, vendors offer mature, good quality ODBC drivers,
> and most programs that have anything to do with databases offer ODBC
> connectivity. So connecting with ODBC means the individual database
> drivers are already there; no need to waste effort on creating drivers
> for each (or asking vendors to, which we can't afford).

Having ODBC support in D is definitely important for some kind of applications.
But for most applications which works with some (kind of) database it does not
scale. We really need individual drivers for each of the most popular databases
(even as a C/C++ lib with d binding around it). And I do not think DB
conectivity need to be in phobos.

So as I allready wrote in another reply I think containers stuff are much more
important right now (same as better JSON,XML,BSON...).