DIP80: phobos additions

Dennis Ritchie via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 11:42:49 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 17:19:28 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/9/15 9:16 AM, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 16:14:24 UTC, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
>>> To solve these problems you need something like Blas. Perhaps
>>> BLAS -
>>> it's more practical way to enrich D techniques for working
>>> with matrices.
>>
>> Actually, that's what you need to realize in D:
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.html
>
> "And finally uBLAS offers good (but not outstanding)
> performance." -- Andrei

OK, but...
Same thing I can say about BigInt in Phobos.
"And finally `std.bigint` offers good (but not outstanding)
performance."

I decided 17 math problems and for most of them I needed a
`BigInt`:
http://i.imgur.com/CmOSm7V.png
https://projecteuler.net/language=D

If in D would not be `BigInt`, I probably would have used to
Boost.Multiprekison on C++:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/multiprecision/doc/html/index.html

Or do some slow Python.

Maybe all this and does not give a huge performance, but for a
wide range of mathematical problems it all helps.

Thus, it is better to have something than nothing :) And BLAS is
more than something...