Daily downloads in decline

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 14:51:22 PDT 2015

On 6/9/15 1:53 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 June 2015 at 03:41:13 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is that?
>>>
>>> A first test release does not seem to be further away than, say, full
>>> rangeification of Phobos.
>>
>> Answered earlier in the thread:
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mkibq1$aj9$1@digitalmars.com
>
> That's not a full answer. I worked with Daniel to get LDC to
> successfully compile DDMD the Saturday after DConf, which is part of the
> reason why we can confidently make the 20% claim in the first place
> (i.e., be sure that is not a C++ vs D issue).
>
> Still, I'm confident that getting a LDC release ready would be less work
> than, say, properly refactoring all of Phobos to avoid allocations by
> using ranges.

Yah, well, both need doing.

> Sorry if I appear a bit grumpy, but even though recently a number of
> people have been clamoring for more focus on high-impact, strategically
> important work, not a single one of them has showed up at the doorsteps
> of GDC/LDC with any patches so far. This strikes me as rather
> schizophrenic and dishonest, especially given that the same people are
> quick to mention the importance of those compilers in other contexts.
> Either that, or they seem to maintain the conception that DMD is somehow
> a viable option for performance-critical code. In the latter case, I
> don't have much hope for D in the long term, given that this would imply
> that decisions are made involving an alarming level of delusional
> double-think.

Welcome to my world, we have a table for you right here, sir.

The point is there, just a couple of things that don't sit well:
"schizophrenic", "dishonest", "delusional". What's at work here is
simple psychology applied to normal and well-meaning human beings, not
scheming sociopaths.

Andrei