Daily downloads in decline

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 21:44:29 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 20:54:00 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Sorry if I appear a bit grumpy, but even though recently a
> number of people have been clamoring for more focus on
> high-impact, strategically important work, not a single one of
> them has showed up at the doorsteps of GDC/LDC with any patches
> so far. This strikes me as rather schizophrenic and dishonest,
> especially given that the same people are quick to mention the
> importance of those compilers in other contexts. Either that,
> or they seem to maintain the conception that DMD is somehow a
> viable option for performance-critical code. In the latter
> case, I don't have much hope for D in the long term, given that
> this would imply that decisions are made involving an alarming
> level of delusional double-think.

I think that a lot of the people asking for a 2.067 LDC are just
users of D, and (I am including myself in this group) a lot of
those people don't know the first thing about LLVM or good
complier design in general. While it may seem dishonest for
people to ask for these things and not help, keep in mind that
the vast majority of programmers are not even able to help.