Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 10 02:23:53 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 18:53:06 UTC, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 18:46:48 UTC, Israel wrote:
>> Ruby that compiles?
>
> Yet Rust, Nim and Crystal is a very young languages. And alas,
> life is not eternal to wait five years of a flourishing
> language :) There are already ready to be used option. This is
> D.

Exactly. Nim for example sounds interesting, however, we already
have D. I've used it for years and I know that it scales and that
I can write reliable real world applications in it. With Nim etc.
it would take years to actually know, if it scales or if you hit
a brick wall after a couple of years. D has overcome many of the
"child diseases" that Nim, Crystal etc still have to face.

One big difference between the D community and other languages'
communities is is that D people keep criticizing the language and
see every little flaw in every little corner, which is good and
which is why D is the way it is. Other languages' communities are
more like "This is theeeeeee language of the future, it's
super-duper, no question asked, none permitted either!"