Bug 14666, can we prioritize ?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 10 09:03:17 PDT 2015

On 6/10/15 8:41 AM, Brian Rogoff wrote:
> I agree with you, Walter, that mutual recursion amongst imports is
> usually bad, but I think you inadvertently made the right decision by
> allowing it in D, and that the bug should be fixed. If people overuse it
> to write messy code then the community should tell them to write that
> code better.

I agree. I'm one of those folks who think circular dependencies are
fine, thank you very much, and the few cases in which it causes problems
should be flagged and diagnosed in a principled way.

Everybody also likes:

* recursion and mutual recursion of any depth (there's a lot more of it
going in the usual programs than one might think)

* recursive and mutually recursive types

* declaring top level names in any order and they just "work"

But all of a sudden, people get sugar in their gasoline and sand in
their gears when they hear of the same thing applied to modules. I
suspect it's because some legacy languages didn't quite do a stellar job
at it. Figuring that stuff out and pointing out problems is exactly the
kind of thing computers are good at and humans, not so good.

Andrei