Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 10 14:09:21 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 at 18:13:53 UTC, Dave wrote:

> Just a thought from a random spectator ;)

Interesting perspective. While I find the plethora of keywords in
D a tad confusing (nowhere near as confusing as rust's
borrowing!), I'm not sure it would necessarily mean that D would
be discarded in favor of something else. There's a lot to like
about D as a language.

More generally, it's a question of what paradigm you are trying
to enforce. I think your paradigm is really about minimizing
bugs, rather than necessarily wanting restriction. Nevertheless,
I'm sure there are many who agree. My preference is a bit
simpler: I want to write good code without a lot of clutter. So I
think that the default option should be whatever enforces that. I
don't see a reason why you should have a whole string of keywords
before every function. Anything that simplifies that is a
positive to me.

To your grepable point, another alternative is that you allow the
annotations in either case so you could have a throw keyword and
a nothrow keyword. If nothrow is default, you could still put it
in there and then grep to change it to throw later. For that
matter, it might be interesting to have some way to specify the
default behavior for each .d file.