Daily downloads in decline

Dennis Ritchie via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 10 15:01:21 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 at 17:20:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 at 17:04:56 UTC, Dennis Ritchie
> wrote:
>> It seems to me that many still do not understand what the Rust
>> :) Many have not seen Lisp, so they think that Rust is
>> something innovative. At least from the syndrome of angle
>> brackets and other syntactic shaluhi its developers are not
>> disposed of, but only made matters worse. This language is not
>> better than the same C++.
>
> Sorry, but this sounds like extremely uneducated opinion.

Yes, it is. I have not had time to spend some time playing with
Rust, so my opinion about Rust is very bad.

> Rust has a very clearly defined set of values and goals. It is
> designed for large scale projects that need to combine high
> performance with maintainability and does that at cost of
> learning curve and rapid prototyping. Very strict and punishing
> compiler (with a pedantic and complicated type system) ensures
> that it is much harder to make accidental subtle mistakes. Even
> generics are completely type-checked (via traits).

OK. But Rust better than the same minimalist Go? Besides, there
is no garbage collection Rust. This, at least, not to date. No
bounds checking of arrays.

> (yes, I did spend quite some time playing with it)

I also plan to play with Rust, but a little later.

> There are few important features missing compared to D, i.e.
> static reflection and metaprogramming can only be done via AST
> macros. But primarily the main issue I see is that there is no
> reason to pick Rust for a project with less than 50 KLOC unless
> you want to learn. Productivity feels very low.

Well, if Rust created for huge projects, why these macros? I fear
that macros are simply not needed in C-family languages.
The macros help in D? Write unbearable code? :D

> Still, saying that it is "same C++" is absolutely missing the
> point.

Yes, I admit that it is very incorrect: so speaks of Rust, but in
this case it is no better than Go from Google. The Rust better
than Go in large projects?