Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 00:15:30 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 07:13:10 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 07:11:33 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 07:08:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A ground breaking GC will emerge from the synthesis of the
>>> unsurpassable number of endless GC debates. That is the
>>> sanctimony of meritocracy.
>>
>> actually making a good GC for D is difficult because the only
>> type of barrier you can use it hardware protection faults. The
>> performance dropoff isn't _that_ bad from what I've read in
>> various papers.
>>
>> I should have an article up in a few weeks detailing my summer
>> research project on this.
>>
>> bye.
>
> It IS that bad, and any paper that tell you otherwise is lying
> to you.

after extensive testing I found a hardware protection fault +
mprotect to take 2000nsecs on every hardware I tested, the only
time you need them active is during a concurrent mark and sweep.
I'll find out I guess.

Boehm's GC uses this and regularly kept up(~5-10%) with
essentially all of the top of the line GCs in all the papers I
read.