Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 02:13:59 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 07:08:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 03:04:50 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
> wrote:
>> The biggest difference between the D community in general and
>> other communities is actually quite simple.
>>
>> Experience.
>
> Indeed! The world has never seen a more experienced collection
> of freshmen language designers. Theory does not apply.
>
> Rust and Go are doomed.

Now, now. It is true that bad and frustrating experience with
other languages drove me (and probably others) to D. D is open to
suggestions, while other languages still live by the "one size
fits all" mentality. std.allocator is a good example of trying to
offer a variety of different memory models. What's wrong with
that?

People here often request features you can only ask for after
years of programming experience. This shows that there is a lot
of experience in the D community. Without experience D wouldn't
be where it is, having only limited resources.

>> That's right. As mentioned we accept bugs, we accept issues.
>
> Submit and accept, no regrets.
>
>> Discuss them at length and fix them when a good solution is
>> found.
>
> A ground breaking GC will emerge from the synthesis of the
> unsurpassable number of endless GC debates. That is the
> sanctimony of meritocracy.
>
> A non-breaking solution will eventually be found. Time is no
> issue in such an important matter. We just wait and a solution
> will emerge, through discussions based on pure experience.
>
>> Not only that but we look for problems to fix.
>> This is the mentality of a good software engineer. One who
>> doesn't care about their own pride or ego but genuinely wants
>> to make good code.
>
> This community is the UNICEF of programming. We are all meek
> and humble individuals, divine servants of humanity.

Just trying to create the best tool possible for our own daily
tasks.

> People in these forums all express gratitude when they are on
> the loosing end of a technical debate. Nobody go silent or
> resort to rhetorical excesses. Ever. We are all grateful for
> being proven wrong, because that is how we become better
> programmers.

But we keep coming back. So it cannot be that bad ;)

>> In a lot of ways this makes us the best developers on the
>> planet. It would explain a lot, including how other language
>> communities snob us yet we look at them for ideas.
>
> Indeed, we never snob anyone, and they all snob us. Especially
> the ignorant C++ community that never mentions us.

Because this hurts some people. The D crowd doesn't snob other
languages, in fact, people here often point at features of other
languages saying "Da', can I have this, pleeeeeze?". All most of
us do is to point out the strengths of D when ever the occasion
arises, trying to convince people to at least give it a try. Of
course it can be annoying when D is snobbed at while its features
are being ripped.

Talking about UNICEF, feel free to be a humble servant of
humani-D. The more the merrier!