Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 03:52:05 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 10:17:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 09:14:00 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Now, now. It is true that bad and frustrating experience with
>> other languages drove me (and probably others) to D.
>
> Suggesting that a language like D is based on experience in
> comparison to Go is... not right... given the experienced
> language designers behind Go.
>
> If experience is key, then Go wins.
>
>> People here often request features you can only ask for after
>> years of programming experience. This shows that there is a
>> lot of experience in the D community. Without experience D
>> wouldn't be where it is, having only limited resources.
>
> Language designers that design more than one language tend to
> make smaller and tighter languages as they gain design
> experience and get better at delegating
> nice-to-have-but-not-essential-features to libraries. Features
> have a higher cost than initial implementation.
>
> Walter has been more open to feature suggestions than many
> other designers, and implemented them in a timely fashion, that
> is true. And that can be both a good thing and a bad thing, but
> obviously engaging and fun from a community point of view.
>
> The process around Go is very closed. So not fun. Rust is
> inbetween.
>
>> Just trying to create the best tool possible for our own daily
>> tasks.
>
> Just like everybody else?
>
>> But we keep coming back. So it cannot be that bad ;)
>
> ;o)
>
>>> Indeed, we never snob anyone, and they all snob us.
>>> Especially the ignorant C++ community that never mentions us.
>>
>> Because this hurts some people. The D crowd doesn't snob other
>> languages, in fact, people here often point at features of
>
> I see jabs at other languages, especially the ones that is
> stealing attention from D: Rust, Go, C++… I guess it is all
> natural,  but it can be perceived as "envy" by outsiders, and
> there is no advantage to it.
>
> I really wish people would stop complaining about other
> languages having the same features as D without giving credit.
> It is impossible to figure out exactly where ideas from
> features come from, but most features predate even C++ if being
> first is the main point.
>
> The hard part about designing an imperative language is not the
> individual features, the palette is given. The hard part is
> turning it into beautiful whole that is greater than the sum of
> the parts. And that is important, but difficult (or impossible)
> to achieve.
>
> It is kinda like music, I sometimes create a melody that I feel
> I have heard something similar to, but I cannot pin it down to
> anything specific. So phrases of the melody might be things I
> have picked up. However, if we go for novelty the roots for
> musical elements might go 300 years back or more. Far beyond my
> knowledge horizon.
>
> A month ago I made a poptune-sketch I kinda find catchy, but
> familiar. But which tune is it familiar to? Who should I
> [...]

I have the same problem when composing. Some things sound vaguely
familiar but I cannot put my finger on it. Usually I don't follow
an idea that somehow sounds familiar.

In your case, the song reminds me of:

Wouldn't It Be Good - Nik Kershaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMAtbq0bjY