Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 05:35:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 12:15:21 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 11:37:21 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> On 10/06/2015 12:38, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
>> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>>> I think Rust has an advantage over Go in the name Mozilla
>>> alone, they
>>> are more idealistic than Google.
>>
>> Agreed. In concrete terms, Mozilla is a non-profit, whereas
>> Google is not. Google can easily drop (or reduce) support for
>> Go if it doesn't serve whatever business goal they want. Or
>> alternatively they might not be interested in evolving Go (or
>> Go's toolchain) in directions that are useful for other
>> people, but have little value for their business or technical
>> goals.
>
> I'm afraid, Mozilla is the same: picks a group of people to
> prioritize and ignores others.

You will live to see splinter groups. Go++, Open Rust etc. It's
always the same, languages that follow a narrow path will p**s
off people enough for them to role their own.

D is really unique in the sense that it's open enough for people
not to feel that they have to role their own. D also has enough
features to satisfy many different users, although - and this is
often forgotten - you don't _have_ to use them all. People like
Go and Rust, because it tells them exactly what to do. D doesn't,
they have to think for themselves, and a lot of people hate that,
which is sad, because having loads of things to choose from makes
you think more about your code and software design in general and
it makes you a better programmer/coder/architect.