You too can work on D for iOS

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 05:34:05 PDT 2015

On 6/12/15 8:07 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 11:58:35 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Those who are serious and willing to invest will buy one. I bought my
>> macbook in 2011 for about $1800, I've made more than 50x that with it
>> since doing iOS work.
>
> You don't find it odd that my 2012 mac mini is faster than similarly
> priced macs today?

I do find it odd! Generally apple lowers their prices periodically for
their newer versions, and the new stuff is usually faster.

But, they do typically take away higher options for older models. For
instance, the iPhones when they become the cheaper option, they limit
the memory to 8 or 16GB.

Looking at wikipedia, I see they don't offer a quad-core for the 2014
version as a base option (and they went from i7 to i5!), that's a shame.

Also, not upgradeable RAM... I take it back. Don't buy one of these :)
Buy a used 2012 version instead! That's a significant downgrade, I don't
know who's deciding these things, but that's definitely a failure.

> What kind of apps do you make, it would be fun to have a look at them :)

This is the app I worked on for 2 years (under contract):
http://www.replaylocker.com/ I only worked with the iOS version, not the
android version (which is a hand-ported clone of the iOS).

I also wrote all the server code (C++ unfortunately, but you can
definitely see my D roots in it :), which ran on an ARM based SBC. It
was a pretty neat project, lots of networking challenges.

There used to be demos to download so you could see how the system works
without actually being in a location that supported it, but I think they
took those down to save on bandwidth. So if you install the app, you
likely will be disappointed :)

-Steve