You too can work on D for iOS

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 05:42:37 PDT 2015

On 6/12/15 8:29 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:21:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Is your mom a software developer? If you spent $160 more and were able
>> to increase your salary 10x, wouldn't that be worth it?
>
> 10x? What sort of pipe dream is that?

OK, 2x, 1.5x. I have no frame of reference for what you can make as an
iOS developer in your country. Where I live, I can make much more than
10x $160 per month. But if it increases your salary, it's worth
investing in, no?

>> I'm not trying to say everyone should buy a mac or that they are cheap
>> enough for everyone to afford. I'm saying if your investment in buying
>> a mac increases your income significantly (as it did for me), the cost
>> doesn't matter. It's an enabler for things that just aren't possible
>> without it.
>
> I guess that explains why so many programs with the same functionality
> are freeware on Windows and commercial on OSX. Open-source software
> development gives me 0 income, so it'd be a negative net gain.

I don't agree with your statement, why would someone charge money on one
platform and not on the other? Almost all apps from Apple are free for
your Mac. Those that aren't generally have free alternatives.

And I agree, doing open-source freeware development doesn't justify
buying a computer of any kind. That's not what I was saying.

-Steve