You too can work on D for iOS

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 05:47:34 PDT 2015

On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:42:37 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/12/15 8:29 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:21:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
>> wrote:
>>> Is your mom a software developer? If you spent $160 more and
>>> were able
>>> to increase your salary 10x, wouldn't that be worth it?
>>
>> 10x? What sort of pipe dream is that?
>
> OK, 2x, 1.5x. I have no frame of reference for what you can
> make as an iOS developer in your country. Where I live, I can
> make much more than 10x $160 per month. But if it increases
> your salary, it's worth investing in, no?

You said 10x salary increase, not 10x return on investment. I
won't argue with that. But just owning a piece of hardware isn't
going to *multiply* your existing income.

>> I guess that explains why so many programs with the same
>> functionality
>> are freeware on Windows and commercial on OSX. Open-source
>> software
>> development gives me 0 income, so it'd be a negative net gain.
>
> I don't agree with your statement, why would someone charge
> money on one platform and not on the other? Almost all apps
> from Apple are free for your Mac. Those that aren't generally
> have free alternatives.

Last time I looked there was a pretty big difference in the
diversity and availability of 3rd-party software. Which makes
sense considering also the much smaller user market share.

> And I agree, doing open-source freeware development doesn't
> justify buying a computer of any kind.

What?

Here's the problem: if I own a PC, I can install Windows, Linux,
FreeBSD etc. on it with no problems, or I can run any in a VM. I
can do neither with OS X, I have to buy overpriced hardware from
Apple to do that.