You too can work on D for iOS

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 06:20:29 PDT 2015

On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:34:06 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Also, not upgradeable RAM... I take it back. Don't buy one of
> these :) Buy a used 2012 version instead! That's a significant
> downgrade, I don't know who's deciding these things, but that's
> definitely a failure.

Yeah, buy used, refurbished or just look for ways to upgrade
parts seems like a good idea these days. Maybe companies like
Apple and Microsoft just need control freaks like Jobs and Gates
to keep things focused?

I wonder if they had problems making MacPro earn back R&D and saw
iOS dev accounts making purchases of the 4-core minis. That could
explain this "rational business decision" at the cost of bad PR
with developers.

In my country the mid-end MacPro (6 cores at 3.5Ghz) is at 5164USD,
but a store bought Haswell CPU 6 cores at 3.3Ghz is at 477USD. That
does not add up!

By building my own I'd probably save over 60% for my use
(compiling) .

> This is the app I worked on for 2 years (under contract):
> http://www.replaylocker.com/ I only worked with the iOS
> version, not the android version (which is a hand-ported clone
> of the iOS).

That's pretty cool! Of course, if you have a contract with a
solid entity you can also invest with a light heart :-).

Investing in your own ideas in order to make money back on the
app-store with no contract is a very risky investment though.

> bandwidth. So if you install the app, you likely will be
> disappointed :)

Ah, but the website explains it pretty well. Looks like a very
nice project to get involved with. Of course, next time you'll
get to push harder for D since it has better C++ interop now. :)