DIP80: phobos additions

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 12:45:23 PDT 2015

On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 17:56:53 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:

> Matrix math is matrix math, it being for ogl makes no real
> difference.

I think it’s a little more complicated than that. BLAS and LAPACK
(or variants on them) are low-level matrix math libraries that
many higher-level libraries call. Few people actually use BLAS
directly. So, clearly, not every matrix math library is the same.
What differentiates BLAS from Armadillo is that you can be far
more productive in Armadillo because the syntax is friendly (and
quite similar to Matlab and others).

There’s a reason why people use glm in C++. It’s probably the
most productive way to do matrix math with OpenGL. However, it
may not be the most productive way to do more general matrix
math. That’s why I hear about people using Armadillo, Eigen, and
Blaze, but I’ve never heard anyone recommend using glm. Syntax
matters.