You too can work on D for iOS

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 13:59:01 PDT 2015

On 06/12/2015 03:46 PM, weaselcat wrote:
> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 19:36:25 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> It is good though that they've finally relaxed their stance a bit on
>> what's now being called "side-loading" (or as I've called it since the
>> 1980's, "Running my own freaking software on my own freaking
>> machine"). Now it appears MS has dropped to last place in that regard
>> (last I checked, they kinda let you do it, moreso than Apple used to,
>> but there's still some goofy restrictions and it appeared primarily
>> geared towards corporations with their own proprietary in-house-only
>> tools).
>
> it will never cease to amaze me that people are paying for things they
> don't even own.
>
> If you can't modify something, you don't own it - you're leasing it.

Yea. Problem is, there isn't much choice. If you need mobile internet
access, then you can't vote with your wallet because they ALL do it.

I really wish PalmOS was still around. Those were well-designed,
practical, easy-to-use AND non-Orwellian. Version 6 in particular was
looking really nice. But Xerox's patent trolls forced Palm to botch up
the Graffiti system, and then the device manufacturers effectively
killed PalmOS 6 because they refused to make anything but iOS clones
('cause that's where the "buzz" was), hence the WebOS debacle. And
that's how we got where we are today. :(