Building the docs with own changes

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 13 08:30:41 PDT 2015

On 6/13/15 1:10 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Adding LATEST=2.067.1 to the command indeed allows clean to run, but
>  then -- joy! -- I can no longer rebuild anything, because the cached
> DMD 2.067 is deleted and I need internet connectivity to get it
> back.

I don't think make clean deletes dmd2.067.1. It does instruct you to do
so if you so want.

> It's also a major "WTF??!!" that 'make clean' should need network
> connectivity in any circumstances.

Yah, supporting 100% disconnected builds was a corner case that's not
properly supported yet. It's just difficult in make to set a variable
efficiently only for some targets.

> The bottom line of this for me is that I have dmd, druntime, phobos
> and tools repos all in the "standard" locations relative to my
> dlang.org repo; all of those are built (or I can build them).  It's
> therefore really baffling to me that I should need more than that in
> order to be able to issue 'make phobos-prerelease' and see what my
> updated docs look like.  Force me to add LATEST=dev or something like
> that to the command if necessary, but _don't_ force me to either
> download or already have cached a separate copy of the compiler.
>
> I cannot speak to how infuriating it was to be on a plane with hours
> to spare to work on phobos material, only to find myself flying blind
> unable to validate my documentation work, because the doc build
> system assumes network connectivity and has no obvious fallback or
> workaround.
>
> Sorry if the above sounds abrasive, but take it as a measure of how
> much I was enjoying working on phobos again :)

There's no surprise that things we didn't focus much effort don't work
well. That said, I'm not sure what's happening there - things should
have worked; phobos-prerelease doesn't require the legacy stuff. Should
be reported as a bug. Perhaps it's dub that insists on a specific
version. Could you please try "make -f posix.mak html" while
disconnected and see if that goes through?

Andrei