Honey, I shrunk the build times

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 14 12:02:58 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 10:03:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2015 at 08:59:46 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> I wouldn't have thought that not moving to 2.067 would be a
>> hold-up (there
>> is nothing in that release that blocks building DDMD as it is
>> *now*).
>
> The biggest problem is that releasing a ddmd which is compiled
> with dmd is unacceptable, because it incurs too large a
> performance hit (~20% IIRC), so we need either ldc or gdc to be
> at 2.067 so that we can use that to compile the release build
> of ddmd.

after playing around with ddmd built with ldc, it's still a solid
30-40% slower than current dmd(with optimization flags, obv.)

after profiling, it spends most of its time swapping and handling
page faults. Enabling the GC seems to crash it, oh well. Maybe
20-30% of the actual time is doing non-allocation related things.