PHP verses C#.NET verses D.

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 16 01:47:38 PDT 2015

On Monday, 15 June 2015 at 23:53:06 UTC, Nick B wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There is a startup in New Zealand that I have some dealings
> with at present. They have build most of their original code in
> PHP, (as this was quick and easy) but they also use some C#.net
> for interfacing to accounting appls on clients machines. The
> core PHP application runs in the cloud at present and talks to
> accountings applications in the cloud. They use the PHP symfony
> framework.
>
> High speed in not important, but accuracy, error handling, and
> scalability is, as they are processing accounting transactions.
> They have a new CEO on board, and he would like to review the
> companies technical direction.
>
> Their client base is small but growing quickly.  I know that
> PHP is not a great language, and my knowledge of D is
> reasonable, while I have poor knowledge of C#.net.
>
> Looking to the future, as volumes grow, they could:
> 1.  Stay with PHP & C#.net, and bring on servers as volumes
> grow.
> 2.  Migrate to C#.net in time
> 3.  Migrate to D in time.
>
> Any comments or suggestions on the above?

Both C# and D sound like good fits there. It depends on whether
it's the sort of team who like to innovate and explore new
possibilities or whether they want a completely fleshed out,
stable ecosystem.

D can make boring work interesting: endless boiler-plate can be
neatly abstracted and many models* can be expressed JustRightâ„¢ as
opposed to being shoehorned in to a standard abstraction. C# is
also pretty good at this (sometimes), but D has a significant
edge.