std.container: fork in the road

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 05:32:01 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 at 06:08:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> 3. Leave std.container alone and move forward with
> std.experimental.collection. I am confident the language and
> its endorsed idioms have reached enough maturity to not make
> this addition into a regular event.

I'm really not a fan of "collection" or "collections" and think
that container is a far better name, but if we want to avoid
breaking existing code, I don't think that we have much choice
but to rename it - though for myself, I wouldn't mind just having
std.container be fixed in a manner that breaks existing code. I'd
rather deal with the code breakage than the name collection or
collections, but as a community, that's probably not a good way
to go about things, particularly since we do want to minimize
breakage to the times when we really need to break code.

- Jonathan M Davis