Extern Linkage Type

Rodney via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 13:33:03 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 at 07:47:21 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> implib works for C calling convention only.

Thank you for your reply.

So if I am understanding correctly (feel free to admit my
ignorance):

1. implib is required to generate a dmd compatible import library
from an .dll

2. implib only works for C calling convention only

Therefore, D can only call C and D compatible .dll's?

Obviously I am being dumb about something, because learning and
playing around with D I have written several windows programs (XP
and 7) that call Silverfrost FORTRAN .dll's (please see
http://rrroberts.50webs.com/cobindex.htm) using extern (Pascal)
{...}.  The FORTRAN .dll's were produced by the Silverfrost
SLINKER, then produced an .lib file from that .dll using DMD's
implib.  And I am now doing the same thing with Free Pascal.

And before anyone says COBOL and FORTRAN are dead, COBOL is still
widely used in banking back-end applications, and FORTRAN is used
in engineering applications.

Again thanks for your reply.