PHP verses C#.NET verses D.

Etienne Cimon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 20:44:07 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 at 18:40:01 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>  Any idea how far away it might be from being something that
> someone could use in an enterprise environment simply, in the
> same kind of way that vibed is easy?  I appreciate that making
> it broadly usable may not be what interests you, and may be a
> project for someone else.

I would say 3 months. So it'll probably be a year considering how
off my last estimates were. Of course, I never calculated any
help (and haven't gotten any really)

> Any chance you could write a bit more on this?  Your personal
> story and why you believe this.  We could post on the Wiki as
> part of a series of narratives on people who have found D
> helpful.  Stories are a powerful complement to just ticking off
> features.

I started off as a C, C#, Javascript & PHP programmer with 6
years of experience, building mostly e-commerce and information
systems on a contractual basis. One day, I decided I had enough
and wanted to invest my time in a faster web engine because I was
tired of seeing all those slow and bloated libraries that can
barely serve 10 requests per second when they're put to any
practical use.

I decided to go for C++ and learn everything I could about
writing an integrated solution. I found interesting libraries but
everytime I wanted to add a feature, I'd have to import another
library and it again became bloated but in terms of code base.
Nothing seemed to work together (Qt & Boost?).

The D programming language came up frequently in search results
when looking for C++-related concepts, and I saw everything I
needed in Phobos. The language features seemed similar at first
but I quickly realized how much more convenient the language was
as a whole and it felt much like a managed language overall.

Even the vibe.d library was much more advanced than what I could
find with an open source license that allowed static compilation
at the time (1 yr 1/2 ago), so I went forward with that and
worked my way through. The most interesting part is that
everytime I had a problem, I never had to google the error from
the compiler because it was quite straightforward. I did have to
debug the memory a lot but all the tools from C/C++ work for that.

So now I can build a full web application/server executable in
less than 2mb packed, and it runs faster than anything out there.
It's standalone, works cross-platform, etc. I really have to put
the blame on the language for the speed at which this very large
project was finished. I completed the STL-equivalent memory
library, TLS/crypto security library, the low-level async TCP
library, the HTTP/2 implementation and the integration of
everything in a web application framework within about 10 months.
I learned the language for about 6 months through that coming
from a background more familiar with managed languages. I can't
say D isn't meant for large projects, it's a really fucking solid
language that was built for the future.