Better forums

Morbid.Obesity via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 20:55:48 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 03:39:34 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 02:13:13 UTC, Morbid.Obesity wrote:
>> It seems the forums are picking up a bit with newer people.
>>
>> I suggest that subforums be used for specific topics or a tag
>> based system like stack overflow.
>
> You mean the "Learn" forum? Because that form of discussion is
> only applicable there, and not for general discussion.
>
>> At some point it will get out of control and have to be
>> changed... better not wait until that happens.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this. I don't see how a simple
> increase in users and activity would invalidate the current
> format.
>
>> I know that nntp might be an issue, one could possibly use
>> something like ##interfacing ##Java ##DLL at the end of the
>> subject of a post that remains compatible but newer software
>> can keep track of all the posts and allow searching using tags.
>
> I don't see what considerable advantage would be provided by
> tagging threads. Impossibility of editing will be another
> difficulty.
>
>> Better yet, create some bidirectional middleman between stack
>> exchange and the D forums/nntp.
>
> I don't see what this would achieve.
>
>> Alternatively, and IMO the best way, simply drop backwards
>> compatibility with the newsgroups and get out of the dark ages.
>
> Again, you mean just the "Learn" forum?
>
> I'm biased, but generally speaking I think we're in a much
> better place than most other programming language communities.
>
> For example, Rust mainly uses GitHub issues, Go uses Google
> Groups, Nim uses a (very simple) custom forum, many other have
> just mailing lists or no official forums.
>
> We have:
>
> - Access via NNTP, mailing lists, or web interface with 4
> different view modes
> - Threading
> - Mobile-friendly view (apparently not perfect but much better
> than nothing)
> - Keyboard navigation
> - Fast load speeds
> - Open-source, self-hosted solution, no dependency on
> 3rd-parties
>
> I think we have many advantages and few disadvantages compared
> to other
>
>> If D wants to represent the future it shouldn't use
>> neanderthal technologies, specially as a form of
>> communication. We do not communicate in grunts because it is
>> inefficient and there are better ways(english, for example...
>> or any modern natural language), and therefor, we shouldn't
>> use nntp as a form of communication when there are better ways.
>>
>> [I'm not advocating the full logical conclusion but something
>> a bit more reasonable than 'living in the dark ages(taking
>> into account computer years ;) )]
>
> Old technologies are not inherently worse. On the contrary, a
> technology's age may show its maturity and widespread support -
> consider the vast number of NNTP and mail clients you can get
> for any platform and operating system, all of which can be used
> to access this forum.

Come on, I know you do have to think much but at least try! A 90
your old woman is "mature" but how many 19 year old men are
chasing after them?

Your last comment is the same as "I like to use stones to wipe my
butt!, If it was good enough for the cavemen and seeing they
probably did it for thousands of years until they realized leafs
could be used, then surely it is more developed then anything
recent like toilet paper!!!".

Simply put, the flaw in your logic is that new technology is not
created in a vacuum, it is based on the "old way" where people
have **learned** from there past mistakes.

Unfortunately your mentality is what prevents progress rather
than creates it. I suppose not a bad thing, balance is important.
Just realize I'm on the other end as you. I'd rather be a super
human rather than a caveman. Not just because of the rock/toilet
paper issue.

Again, with a mentality such as yours, how do you ever except to
progress? This is a serious question, I can't ever see how it
could get us where we are at(which may not be that great, but if
it's better than where we were then surely it is due to
technology. (using the stone was the first step, the left the
second, and toilet paper the third. The bidet could be the
fourth... Of course, super humans will have learned to absorb all
fecal matter through a specifically evolved pouch that acts as a
furnace. Only gas will be a problem, but I'm sure it will be only
a matter of time before someone, not like you, figures out a
solution for it.

Progress friend, that is what you need!