Better forums

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 21:01:31 PDT 2015

On 18/06/2015 3:55 p.m., Morbid.Obesity wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 03:39:34 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 02:13:13 UTC, Morbid.Obesity wrote:
>>> It seems the forums are picking up a bit with newer people.
>>>
>>> I suggest that subforums be used for specific topics or a tag based
>>> system like stack overflow.
>>
>> You mean the "Learn" forum? Because that form of discussion is only
>> applicable there, and not for general discussion.
>>
>>> At some point it will get out of control and have to be changed...
>>> better not wait until that happens.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by this. I don't see how a simple increase
>> in users and activity would invalidate the current format.
>>
>>> I know that nntp might be an issue, one could possibly use something
>>> like ##interfacing ##Java ##DLL at the end of the subject of a post
>>> that remains compatible but newer software can keep track of all the
>>> posts and allow searching using tags.
>>
>> I don't see what considerable advantage would be provided by tagging
>> threads. Impossibility of editing will be another difficulty.
>>
>>> Better yet, create some bidirectional middleman between stack
>>> exchange and the D forums/nntp.
>>
>> I don't see what this would achieve.
>>
>>> Alternatively, and IMO the best way, simply drop backwards
>>> compatibility with the newsgroups and get out of the dark ages.
>>
>> Again, you mean just the "Learn" forum?
>>
>> I'm biased, but generally speaking I think we're in a much better
>> place than most other programming language communities.
>>
>> For example, Rust mainly uses GitHub issues, Go uses Google Groups,
>> Nim uses a (very simple) custom forum, many other have just mailing
>> lists or no official forums.
>>
>> We have:
>>
>> - Access via NNTP, mailing lists, or web interface with 4 different
>> view modes
>> - Threading
>> - Mobile-friendly view (apparently not perfect but much better than
>> nothing)
>> - Keyboard navigation
>> - Fast load speeds
>> - Open-source, self-hosted solution, no dependency on 3rd-parties
>>
>> I think we have many advantages and few disadvantages compared to other
>>
>>> If D wants to represent the future it shouldn't use neanderthal
>>> technologies, specially as a form of communication. We do not
>>> communicate in grunts because it is inefficient and there are better
>>> ways(english, for example... or any modern natural language), and
>>> therefor, we shouldn't use nntp as a form of communication when there
>>> are better ways.
>>>
>>> [I'm not advocating the full logical conclusion but something a bit
>>> more reasonable than 'living in the dark ages(taking into account
>>> computer years ;) )]
>>
>> Old technologies are not inherently worse. On the contrary, a
>> technology's age may show its maturity and widespread support -
>> consider the vast number of NNTP and mail clients you can get for any
>> platform and operating system, all of which can be used to access this
> [...]

Actually I'm in agreement with Vladimir. NNTP as a backend system works
rather well. And personally I was quite surprised at this.
No, we could easily add tags just prepend them as:

[GUI][Serialization] Help!!!! cannot serialize widgets data to disk

Really its just the web interface that needs to support it. NNTP clients
will be more then happy to just search for "[GUI]".