Better forums

tired_eyes via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 03:27:44 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 08:49:30 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 08:47:35 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 05:17:22 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
>> wrote:
>>> BTW, here's a quick chart I made of how people post to this
>>> forum:
>>> http://dump.thecybershadow.net/fd29290682da8888489542fc3dc92409/00000179.png
>>>
>>> Although more than half of all posts come from the web
>>> interface, about 40% use other methods.
>>
>> What's included in Other? I didn't know there were other
>> methods.
>
> I think that's mostly NNTP clients which generate a message ID
> locally instead of using the one suggested by the server.

New forums looks much better compared to previous version and
visually integrates very well into main website.
However, Morbid.Obesity raised some good points, although in a
harsh manner - webforums and mailing lists are separate things,
and if something looks like a webforum, it's expected to behave
like a web-forum. Having forums that are just NNTP-frontend has
some disadvantages, e.g. lack of moderation and unability to wipe
awful offtopics like this:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mlqla5$bq3$1@digitalmars.com

So... shouldn't be mailing lists separated to webforums? At least
in theory?

Vladimir Panteleev, I know that it's unpleasant to see your
project being criticized after so much work, so please don't get
me wrong. Again, new forums are way better than previous. But
they still have issues that looks like unresolveable without
compatibility breakage.

---Anton Pastukhov aka tired_eyes