Better forums

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 04:12:46 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 10:27:46 UTC, tired_eyes wrote:
> Having forums that are just NNTP-frontend has some
> disadvantages, e.g. lack of moderation and unability to wipe
> awful offtopics like this:

We can delete messages and ban users in extreme cases (e.g.
outright spam).

> So... shouldn't be mailing lists separated to webforums? At
> least in theory?

Separating them would mean separating the community. Many people
will not check both. Before forum.dlang.org, proposals to simply
set up a phpBB instance for an official web forum were rejected
on the simple basis that Walter Bright and other people from the
core team would not use them, which would make them a lot less
useful.